Gardener Ranch is located at 114 W. Carmel Valley Road, Carmel Valley, CA 93924.
From the Bay Area, the quickest route is generally via US 101 South to Exit 330 in Salinas. From there, take N Davis Road to CA-68W and turn left onto Laureles Grade.
We encourage guests to check Google Maps the day of the events, however, since there are alternate routes via CA 17 and Highway 1 that are sometimes faster (depending on traffic).
The closest major airport to Carmel Valley is Mineta San Jose International (SJC). From SJC, it's approximately a 90 minute drive to Carmel Valley.
Alternatively, some flights are available into Monterey Regional Airport (MRY). From Monterey, it's approximately 30 minutes on the road.
We have multiple blocks of rooms reserved with varying group rates:
--We have a block of rooms reserved down the road from the venue at CARMEL MISSION INN (www.carmelmissioninn.com). This is likely to be the most expensive option. Please mention "Smit Abernathy Wedding" to receive the group rate.
--We also have a block reserved at the CONTENTA INN. You can use the following link to book:
Link: reservation.worldweb.com/hotel/1679/?package_id=129980&date_from=20170811&date_to=20170813 | Booking Code: SAWEDD.
--We've also reserved a block at the BLUE SKY LODGE. You can book with the following link:
reservation.worldweb.com/hotel/1524/?package_id=129983&date_from=20170811&date_to=20170813 | Booking Code: SAWEDD.
--Calling either the Contenta Inn or Blue Sky Lodge and asking for the "Smit/Abernathy Wedding" will work too.
In addition to these room blocks, accommodations may also be available across the street from the venue at Carmel Valley Lodge (www.valleylodge.com). Plenty of Airbnb options are available in Carmel Valley as well.
We encourage you to book early, as local accommodations tend to book up during wedding season!
--Leaves Carmel Mission Inn @ 2:00 pm
--Leaves Blue Sky Lodge @ 2:15 pm
--Leaves La Contenta Inn @ 2:20 pm
--Leaves Carmel Mission Inn @ 2:30 pm
--Leaves Blue Sky Lodge @ 2:45 pm
--Leaves La Contenta Inn @ 2:50 pm
--Leaves venue for Carmel Mission Inn @ 9:00 pm, 9:40 pm, 10:00 pm, 10:20 pm, 10:40 pm, 11:00 pm
--Leaves venue for Blue Sky Lodge & La Contenta Inn @ 10:00 pm, 10:40 pm
For anyone coming from the Bay Area, we encourage carpooling. That said, there is plenty of on-premise parking at Gardener Ranch, so you'll all be able to park on arrival!
We're planning to hire a babysitter to watch children at a house on the Gardener Ranch property during the wedding festivities. If you're interested in taking advantage of this, please let Melissa and Ian know ASAP!
Carmel Valley is extremely temperate in August. Expected day-time highs are in the upper 70s and night-time lows are in the mid 50s. Rain is extremely rare.
Semi-formal or cocktail attire suggested.
The wedding will be outside on grass, so ladies--plan your footwear accordingly!
• 17 MILE DRIVE – Breathtaking views!
• MONTEREY BAY AQUARIUM – Touch the stingrays, check out the glowing jellyfish, watch the sea otters play!
• FISHERMAN’S WHARF – Enjoy local seafood, watch the boats come into the harbor , and see the fisherman bring in their daily catch!
• CANNERY ROW – Spend the day! Restaurants, spas, attractions, and a gorgeous view of the Marine Bay Sanctuary!
• CARMEL BEACH – Gorgeous place for a picnic! (Dogs welcome!)
• CARMEL MISSION – One of the original California Missions.
• CARMEL ART GALLERIES – Beautiful local art.
• BIG SUR – Big Sur Inn, hiking, scenic drive, lunch at Rocky Point – most beautiful place on earth!
• 1st Awakenings (Pacific Grove) Try the pancakes, trust us!
• Rosine’s (Monterey – Alvarado St.) This is a local favorite for breakfast or lunch
• Dominico’s – Caesar salad made tableside and the freshest seafood possible! A local favorite!
• Chart House – Gorgeous bay views, great food, and an amazing salad bar!
• Knuckles Sports Bar – (at the Monterey Hyatt) they have lots of TVs and awesome beers!
• RG Burgers – (on Alvarado Street in Monterey) – Yummm
MEXICAN AND MARGARITAS:
• Baja Cantina (Carmel Valley) – Great Valley local hang out!
STEAK AND A MARTINI:
• Rio Grill (Crossroads Carmel) – Good times!
COCKTAILS & BREAKFAST:
• The Running Iron (Carmel Valley) Grab beers. Enjoy late night grub and breakfast too!
• MCWAY WATERFALL TRAIL
(about half a mile roundtrip)
Shortest and prettiest with an 80 ft waterfall onto the beach!
• EWOLSON TRAIL
(4.5 miles roundtrip)
Old Growth Redwood Forest with Sweeping Canyons
• PFEIFFER FALLS / VALLEY VIEWS TRAILS
(2 miles roundtrip)
Expansive views of Big Sur Gorge & a spectacular waterfall!
• LIMEKILT TRAILS
(3 miles roundtrip)
Creek Crossings and a Scenic Rocky Beach
• ANDREW MOLERA LOOP
(8.8 miles roundtrip)
Breathtaking coastal views & several remote beaches!
For Maps & Info on the Hiking Trails visit:
A few favorites:
• Folktale Winery
• Talbott Vineyard
• Joyce Vineyard
• Heller Estate Organic Vineyard
• Bernardus Winery
• Georis Tasting Room
• Cowgirl Winery
• Caraccioli Cellars
• Parsonage Winery
If you let us know in advance, we can schedule Cowboy Pete to take you on a “Tractor Wine Ride” in the Valley to the local wineries!
• Old Del Monte Golf Course (Monterey – at the Hyatt)
• Carmel Valley Ranch (Carmel Valley)
• Pebble Beach Golf Links (Pebble Beach – pricey but once in a lifetime!)
• Quail Lodge (Carmel Valley)
• Poppy Hills (Pebble Beach)
• Spyglass (Pebble Beach)
• Links at Spanish Bay (Pebble Beach)
• PG Muni Golf Links (Pacific Grove) Beautiful Views - Best Bargain!
• Blackhorse/Bayonet (Fort Ord)